This solution applies to Wi-Fi enabled bttns with older firmware (manufactured and shipped between December 2014 and February 2015).
The default wireless encryption used by bttn is WPA/WPA2.
To connect your bttn to an open network, do the following.
1. Start the bttn's Wi-Fi access point (by holding it pressed when inserting power, until blue LEDs turn on)
2. Use your phone or PC to join the Wi-Fi network named "bttnconf"
3. Use browser to go to address 192.168.0.1 (notice: no /bttn at the end!)
4. You should see a form titled "SPWF01 First Config"
5. Fill in the form as follows:
- Insert miniAP PassKey: anonymous
- Insert the SSID: your network SSID, currently spaces or special characters may not work
- Insert the PSK: [leave this blank]
- Insert Static IP Address: [leave this blank]
- Insert Static NetMask: [leave this blank]
- Insert Static GW Address: [leave this blank]
- Insert Static DNS Address: [leave this blank]
- Turn on/off DNS/DHCP: ON
- Choose Auth Type: Open System
- Choose Auth: Open
- Choose Mode: Station
Click "GO!" and then "Ok" when an alert box shows.
6. Then wait a few seconds until red LED ring appears on your bttn.
7. Power cycle bttn (remove and re-insert batteries or micro-USB power adapter).
Your bttn should now connect to your Wi-Fi network. You can also check from your router settings, if you see a new device in your network.